viernes, 5 de febrero de 2016

Glass Sword (Red Queen #2)



Title: Glass  Sword
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Series/Trilogy: Yes
Pages: 448

Synopsis

 

Mare Barrow’s blood is red—the color of common folk—but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.

The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince—the friend—who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind.

Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.

But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat.

Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?

Personal Opinion 


Before starting with my thoughts about Glass Sword, I´d like to speak a little about my thoughts of the first book. Red Queen was a book that everybody was talking about, and all the people loved it, it was not long before I could read the book and I really loved it, I loved it too much that I couldn´t wait to read the second book; it is true that the story seems to be a mix of different books, but it didn´t bothered me and just enjoyed the book. Many people say that the book is very predictable, and yes, perhaps it is, but when I was reading Red Queen, I wasn´t expecting that ending! I was totally shocked, and that was the reason that Red Queen left high expectations on me, and Glass Sword didn´t meet them.

Now, speaking about the second book, it takes place at the point where Red Queen left us, we can see Mare running away from Maven, knowing that her brother Shade is alive and that she will have to go looking for people like her, people she must to find and protect before Maven find them.

I liked one thing on this book, and that is, since the beginning we have action, and we have action throughout the book, but, still, I felt very slow the first pages, I couldn´t keep reading, I had to read other books before I could finish this one, because I didn´t feel progress and it annoyed me, that was maybe one of the causes to the score I gave to the book, besides, it didn´t help that I read The Young Elites in the middle of Glass Sword, because I loved TYE and I couldn´t stop thinking and comparing Glass Sword with TYE, but once I did it, I  enjoyed more the story. The best of the book was the last 100 pages, because many things happen.

I dislike a little both Mare and Cal in this book, Mare is very much affected by Maven´s betrayal that it is almost impossible to her to trust on someone, even on her family. I also noticed in this book that  Mare is more selfish, like she doesn´t care people who die because she just want to achieve her goa and I didn´t like that, but in the end, the final decision made by Mare makes me expect more from her. It is clear that Cal is silver, and the last thing he wants to do is to ally with reds or trust on them, but still he´s helping in all that he can, training the people they are recruiting; I could say that I liked more Cal than Mare on this book, but there were some parts where I couldn´t stand him. I liked more Farley on this book, I didn´t care Kilorn and at some point I almost hated him. Shade is one of the new characters that I liked, is the kind of brother you´d like to have.

There was another thing I didn´t like and I felt it was unnecessary, we had a love triangle on Red Queen, and the author tried to involve another character on this, I wot say anything but I think it could be better if the author would have done this since the first book.

As I said, the last 100 pages were the ones that made me want to keep reading, many things happen, I was amazed and I didn´t know where the things were going. That ending, I wot say that I wasn´t shocked, but I think I was more shocked with Red Queen´s ending. In these last pages something happens and I was very happy about that, I liked it xD I wasn´t expecting it!


For those who were asking about the meaning of the title, it is not a weapon or a strange object, it is a metaphore.

Am I planning to read the third book? Yes, absolutely, but I don´t know what to expect, because althought I liked this book, I didn´t love it as I loved Red Queen.

Rating

 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario